Wednesday, April 25, 2012

American Roots Nursery, Trish Hennig and Woody

"American Roots" plants hiding the sign.
Woody and Wayne
I am looking to fill in the bare spots in my woodland garden. What a great excuse to visit Trish Hennig and American Roots, her native plant nursery. We are always greeted by Woody, her constant companion. His enthusiasm on this cool windy day, was heart warming.
Hennig only grows MIchigan Genotype native plants she harvests from collected seed, division of her plants and  plants she rescues from endangered and compromised sites. She offers woodland and prairie plants, grasses, ferns, vines, trees, shrubs and sedges.
Unlike us bundled up humans, the plants didn't seem to mind the cool change, again, in our temperatures. After all, they are MIchigan natives and have grown over the eons to withstand our often extreme changing Spring weather.
                                                                                                                                                           
Walking into the nursery
Labeled plants and areas
When walking into Hennig's nursery, one gets the feeling of a well organized operation. The plants are all tagged and the tables are labeled. After reading my previous blog, you know how much I appreciate that detail. The plants are healthy and I can hardly wait to start filling my boxes. I had a list. I knew what I was going to purchase. In fact, I had emailed Trish a list and only added a few other plants.

I can not tell you how many times we said to ourselves as we drove to the nursery that we would only be buying a few, and we always would get carried away. The problem is not getting the numerous purchases into the car, though once we had to make two trips to bring them all home.The problem is the hours of planting when we get home. The reward from all the previous years was this Spring  we could see the plants are actually spreading. You saw in an earlier posting the Wild Ginger, Ascarum canadense, the Hairy Hepatica, Hepatica nobilis and Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis

Shooting Star  Dodecatheon



Blooming now are the Shooting Stars, Dodecatheon.


   
                                    Who doesn't love the Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum?


"Remember me, said the Mayapple, Podophyllum peltatum, standing tall.






It was time to pack the flowers in the car. Wayne and Trish we settling up with our grand total. Smiling all the way home, I knew exactly where we would be planting the new arrivals amidst the established plants in our garden. I am blessed!



No comments:

Post a Comment