Friday, April 6, 2012

Cattails and Skunk Cabbages growing amoung dead Phragmites!

Skunk cabbages in new growth area!
My posting for March 21, 2012 showed the skunk cabbages growing in the wetlands surrounding my backyard. I hadn't ventured to the area where the Phragmites were removed last fall. I think I was afraid I might not like what was happening there, so I remained in my back yard. Like the posting for March 28, 2012, I decided I have to walk the walk if I am going to post opinions for all to read. So I went to the area and lo and behold to my surprise, I found a lot more skunk cabbages growing then in the wetlands behind my backyard. I have never noticed anything but tall Phragmites in this area before.




New Cattails sprouting.
The removal of the Phragmites allowed the plants to grow. Not only were the cabbages emerging, new cattail growth is appearing and mosses are in the water. I will continue to send updates with pictures. I will even mention if a phragmite or two emerges. I know this is a work in progress.

Fall of 2011








I am including the picture from the area last  fall with Ian and Evan and myself standing in the shadows of the 12-15 feet tall Phragmites. Success is one area at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment