Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hairy Hepatica and Bloodroot

Hairy Hepatica
Every Spring I wait for the 'Hairy' Hepatica, Hepatica nobilis,
to bloom. As a child I remember picking bouquets of them to give to my mother. As I walked through my garden today even after the cold snowy days, the native plants all survived the extreme temperature changes and are blooming.  The Hepatica last only a few days, or sometimes just for a day. 


Bloodroot
The Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis Papaveraceae (Poppy Family) is open from the pink striped exterior of the buds to the now snowy white petals.


The May Apple, Podophyllum peltatum Berberidaceae (Barberry Family) is just starting to poke its head above the surface. The fruit that is produced is edible, but the leaves are toxic.


The flower with the heart shaped leaves ranging up to 8 inches is Wild Ginger, Asarum canadense. The leaves cover the maroon flower. I was able to capture a few today.
Enjoy the natives of Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment